Saturday, July 17, 2010

Beginning thoughts on action research . . .

I have to admit I was not excited at all about this course after seeing the title – research. It did not sound like a course that I was going to enjoy at all, on the contrary, it sounded like a lot of drudgery. Partially it seemed this way because I thought research at this level would be dreary and unexciting. It was all I could do to get motivated to get started on the readings and the assignment. However, once I forced myself to get started I was pleasantly surprised. On the contrary to what I had anticipated, I actually like the idea of action research. Action research is how I feel changes should be implemented on a campus. All too often changes are implemented at central office without the input of the campus personnel, who then feel the changes are being forced on them without regard to the needs of the stakeholders on the campus, causing conflict. Action research allows a campus to implement needed changes while allowing the stakeholders the opportunity to be a part of the decision making process for that change. This is critical for getting stakeholders to 'buy-in' to the changes that are coming. I believe that action research is something I can utilize to ensure that the greatest possible number of stakeholders have involvement in the changes that need to occur on campus. I also believe that teachers can be taught to utilize this method to the benefits of their students, and the campus as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment