Sunday, July 25, 2010

Determining a purpose

This week we were charged with determining a purpose. I have been unable to connect with my site supervisor to discuss my action research project, but am really hoping she feels that the topic I want to do is relevant for my new campus. I want to investigate the relationship between recognition of students and student academic achievement. Does recognizing student accomplishments throughout the year really lead to high academic achievement for our students? Or are we just spinning our wheels, wasting time in recognizing our students hard work, in utilizing this to increase academic achievement? Would we be better served to recognize them once a year (thus decreasing the output needed by staff members to organize the recognitions) versus every 6 weeks?

I personally feel that we should be recognizing these achievements at least every 6 weeks, if not more often, but am not sure if these recognitions will translate into higher student achievement of if they just help with our students self-image. I look forward (if approved for this topic) to researching this!

No comments:

Post a Comment