Sunday, August 1, 2010

Planning the Action Research Project

This is the part of researching that I hate . . . planning the project itself.  I enjoy coming up with the ideas, I like carrying out the research project, I don't mind summarizing what I have learned/determined from my research - but I do not like planning the project.  However, that being said, I trudged through doing so & have a basic idea of what I am looking to do.  So here it is:

  • Goals and objectives/outcomes of the research investigation

    The goal is to determine in student achievement (in any area) is impacted by recognition of student accomplishments in that given area.

  • Activities designed to achieve the objectives

    * A character award to be implemented during morning announcements (Ranger Award) for recognition of students who are applying the character traits that are being learned.

    * An award for perfect attendance and near perfect attendance (less than 3 absences in a semester).

    * An award for 'honor' roll students for each six weeks, semester and year.

    * A B.U.G. award to recognize students who have improved their grades by a certain amount of points (5 or 10, TBD) each 6 weeks.

  • Resources and research tools needed for data gathering

    * Need to have access to attendance records to determine which students will receive awards; also to track any changes in attendance trends by 6 weeks.

    * Need to print grades to determine 'honor roll' students.

    * Need teacher assistance to determine which students need to receive BUG awards for each 6 weeks.

    * Need all personnel assistance to be on the lookout for students displaying the character traits that are being learned.

    * Need award paper, award ribbons, and prize (pencils?, gift certificate to local restaurant?) incentives to use for student recognition.

    * Need access to data on office referrals to determine if character award recognitions decrease the number of office referrals.

    * Benchmark testing data to determine increases in achievement

  • Draft timeline for completion or implementation of activities

    *
    Character awards – to be implemented after the 1st semester.

    * B.U.G. awards to be implemented at end of the 2nd 6 weeks.

    * All others to be recognized beginning with end of 1st 6 weeks.

  • Persons responsible for implementation of the action research plan

    * PEIMS personnel (for attendance), Teachers (for grade based awards), All staff members (for Character awards)

  • Process for monitoring the achievement of goals and objectives

    * Disaggregating Benchmark data to determine trends

    * Determining attendance trends

    * Reviewing office referral data to determine if character awards result in a decrease in office referrals

    * Monitoring of students receiving BUG awards; what do their grades do after receiving the awards (maintain new level, decrease, increase)?

    * Compilation of the data for 'honor roll' students, how to the number of students receiving these awards change (maintain, decrease, increase)?

  • Assessment instrument(s) to evaluate the effectiveness of the action research study

* Disaggregation of student data (from previous years and current year) to determine what impact the awards had on student achievement.

I am sure this will need revision once I am finally able to coordinate a meeting with my site supervisor, but it is my foundation J So yay, I got a basic plan down!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your action research plan. The first school I worked at had a TIGER Award and it to was for those students who improved in any subject area 5 or more points from the 1st six weeks to the 2nd six weeks. Then again comparing each six weeks to the previous. When I moved campuses, I did this with my classroom and called it the Great Progress Award.
    I really liked the Ranger Award. Our district does a character luncheon. At the end of each month every teacher on every campus submits a students name to the designated person on campus and then a drawing is held for 2 students out of the ones nominated for representing that months character trait. Those two students then attend a luncheon sponsored by the district.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete